I struggle with breakfast as some days I will have a really good breakfast and some days I will just have coffee and then by 11 am I am ravenous. Today I made a Weight Watchers smart points omelette. I used 2 eggs 4sp 1 rasher of bacon 1 sp mushrooms 0 sp 2 chopped spring onions 0 sp and 1 tbsp parmesan cheese 2 sp plus salt and black pepper. It was lovely and I hadn’t had an omelette for a while. Well worth the 9 smart points.
What did you have for breakfast today ?
I couldn’t skip breakfast and really don’t that often . I look forward to my breakfast and instead of a fry up or sugary cereals I am opting for healthier alternatives.
Here are some of my favourites.
1.Overnight oats. I love this in the summer. I soak overnight in the fridge (hence the name) oats layered with fat free Greek yogurt and berries,I use frozen berries as they defrost overnight. It is filling and low fat.
2.Breakfast muffins, these are really tasty and also portable so you can pack them in a lunch box. They are really mini crustless quiches cooked in a muffin tin. You can put anything into your muffins I usually put cooked peppers,mushrooms,spring onions and then beaten eggs,a little cheese,salt and pepper and divide into muffin tins and bake. You can eat them hot or cold and the can be frozen too.
3. Smoothie . I love a smoothie and once again it is portable. You can make any fruit and yogurt combo you like I use frozen or fresh berries, a zero percent fat free Greek yogurt,2 teaspoons of peanut butter and a splash of milk and blitz. If you think this won’t be filling enough for you then you can add a handful of oats.
4.Avacado and poached egg on toast. This has replaced my not so healthy eggs benedict. I love avacado and this breakfast is easy and so tasty.
5. Crackerbread, peanut butter and banana. I use a scraping of peanut butter on crackerbread top with sliced banana and sprinkle with cinnamon. I love peanut butter and I love the texture and taste of this yummy breakfast.
What do you like for breakfast?
The weather is horrible,cold and windy and this morning I wanted something scrummy and filling for breakfast. I had a punnet of plums that are still rock hard after a week of buying them and showing no sign of softening anytime soon so I decided to make french toasts and baked plums.
I halved and stoned a few plums and put them in a baking dish and sprinkled them with sugar and baked them on 200 for 15 mins whilst they were baking I soaked my bread in my egg mixture,2 eggs, a little milk,a teaspoon of vanilla extract and half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon whisked together. I took the plums out to cool a little and then I then melted a little butter and fried my egg bread.
Plated up with the plums and it was delicious. It was such a treat.
What did you have for your breakfast? Dawn x
I love natural yogurt it is so cheap and there are lots of things you can do with it. Mine was 44p from Aldi and this morning I have made overnight oats for my breakfast tomorrow using oats,natural yogurt and blueberries layered in a glass and left overnight. The oats soak up the yogurt and become really moist. You can use any combination of fruit but I got a large punnet of blueberries for just over £1 from Aldi so I decided to use some. I think my breakfast cost around 50p or even less and in the morning I will drizzle a little honey on top. If you like oats give it a try. You can used flavoured yogurt too.
Low cost and low fat too.
I have also decided to make a chicken tikka balti tomorrow so using tikka powder mixed with the low fat yogurt I am going to marinate the chicken overnight and then when I need it I will put it on an oven tray and cook the chicken until slightly charred and then add it to my sauce,well Lloyd Grossman’s sauce,I try to make everything from scratch but have yet to perfect a balti sauce and I love Lloyd’s sauces. You can just have the tikka with salad or on skewers. It is so easy.
Once again low fat and low cost the yogurt was from the same pot I used for the oats and cost pence and the chicken beasts were £2.20 from Aldi. I am cooking a roast today, beef with all the trimmings and homemade cauliflower cheese my favourite side dish. What are cooking today? I will take pics of all the finished dishes for another post.Have a great Sunday x Dawn
My Friday five favourite breakfasts.The photos are not mine as I am using my phone to write this.
1. Eggs Benedict,my all time favourite breakfast if eating out. I love it.
2. Full English,who can resist a fry up? I prefer to have it cooked for me but do cook a mean full English.
3. Fruit and yogurt with cereal,this is for when I am trying to be good,it does taste very naughty but I use fat free Greek yogurt.
4. Pancakes and syrup,I use golden syrup as I am not a fan of Maple syrup. I don’t have this very often but I love it.
5. Porridge and blueberries,I have this a lot,it and is inexpensive and good for you.
What are your favourite breakfast dishes?